Title: Finance Officer
Responsible to: Head of Operations
Salary: £20,775 - £24,936 (AAT Inner London Pay Spine point 17 – 24)
Job period: Permanent
Closing date: Thursday 10 March 2016
Aspirations Academies Trust is a multi-trust academy with academies based in three districts; London, Banbury and Bournemouth & Poole. All districts are still growing and will soon be at our ideal capacity. Tech City College is our newest academy having joined us in October 2015. After a rebrand of the college the priority now is student recruitment for the September 2016 intake.
We aim to provide the best possible educational experience for every one of our students, and the role of the Finance Officer will vital in maintaining the College’s financial health and ensuring the efficient, effective organisation and administration of the College’s financial procedures and systems.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for providing accurate information on budgets and finance to enable the Principal to make informed decisions over the financial management of the College. The post holder may also provide additional administrative support for the Operations Manager as and when required.
The post holder will be expected to exhibit a high degree of professionalism and to respect confidentiality in all matters relating to the College.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Preparation and close monitoring of the College’s budget
- Locate, select, analyse and prepare financial data to support accountability and decision making
- Monitor all budget headings and provide regular and prompt reports to the Operations Manager and the Principal
- Prepare long term and short term budget forecasts and provide advice as necessary to ensure the financial health of the College is maintained
- Be responsible for monitoring actual against forecasted spend offering immediate advice to the Principal on areas of concern
- In consultation with the Operations Manager develop appropriate financial procedures and processes and ensure all budget holders are aware of and adhere to them
- Manage cash flow, VAT and invoicing, preparing and maintaining accurate records
- Use financial management information, including benchmarking tools, to analyse trends and identify opportunities for greater efficiency
- Manage the College’s accounting function effectively to agreed procedures
- Prepare financial returns as required by the Operations Manager
- Monitor all accounting procedures and resolve any problems including the ordering, processing and payments for all goods and services provided to the College
- Arrange for approved purchase orders to be raised, assisting staff with queries over suppliers when necessary
- Arrange payment of invoices ensuring purchase orders, delivery notes and invoices correspond
- Maintain transparent, accurate and thorough records of all financial transactions using the computer system
- Maintain the petty cash and monthly reconciliation
- Compliance with Financial Regulations
- Comply with all policies and procedures relating to child protection, health & safety, security, confidentiality and data protection and reporting all concerns to the appropriate person
- Prompt communication with all contractors ensuring the reputation of the College is upheld
- Ensure and promote positive internal and external perceptions of the College maintaining confidentiality wherever appropriate
- Participate in CPD and associated training & development opportunities relevant to job role
This post is subject to an annual Performance Review within a framework agreed by the Governing Body. Targets will be set within the context of the College’s overall plan. The post-holder will also undertake performance reviews with other Staff as required by the Principal.
Safeguarding and Promoting Welfare of Children
All work in the College involves some degree of responsibility for safeguarding children, although the extent of that responsibility will vary according to the nature of the post. Tech City College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The post holder will develop and ensure all the College’s policies safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people and will adhere to their guidelines.
The Job Description is current at the date shown, and is a guide to the work the post-holder will be required to undertake. In consultation with the post-holder, it may be amended from time to time by the Principal to meet changing circumstances.
In return we will offer you:
- A competitive salary
- Respect, Trust and confidence in your ability to do the job
- 24 days paid annual leave (pro rata)
- Good humour (most of the time)
Completed applications should be sent to Saira Ali, HR Officer at email@example.com quoting the position in the email header.
Application close: Thursday 10 March 2016